Established in 2006, New College Institute’s mission is to be a premier center of learning that provides access to academic degrees, credentials and professional learning experiences in high-quality learning environments to prepare students for regional and statewide career opportunities and participation in collaborative, positive community change, promoting regional economic prosperity and community transformation.
Virginia Legislative Code regarding establishment of New College Institute:
B. New College shall:
1. Seek to diversify the region’s economy by engaging the resources of other institutions of higher education, public and private bodies, and organizations of the region and Commonwealth;
2. Serve as a catalyst for economic and community transformation by leveraging and brokering resources that support economic diversity;
3. Facilitate development of the technology and trained workforce necessary for new economic enterprises to flourish, using the resources available from collaborating educational institutions;
4. Expand educational opportunities in the region by providing access to degree-granting programs, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs, through partnerships with private institutions of higher education and public institutions of higher education, the public schools, and the public and private sectors;
5. Encourage and coordinate the development and delivery of degree programs and other credit and noncredit courses with a focus on statewide and regional critical shortage areas and the needs of industry. Such programs and courses shall include needed adult education and workforce training; and
6. Serve as a resource and referral center by maintaining and disseminating information on existing educational programs, research, and university outreach and technology resources.