The aim of this module is to teach participants to use basic PPE, and how to safely execute work at heights and comprehensive basic rescue operations from heights in environments similar to those of wind turbines in compliance with the BST Working at Heights Module.In general, the course provides participants with basic knowledge and skills to enable them to work safely in the wind turbine industry. As such, the course meets the requirements for new employees and the handling of emergency situations in the wind turbine industry.
The BST Working at Heights Module shall ensure that:
- The Delegates are able to demonstrate knowledge of hazards and risks associated with working at height specific to a wind turbine generator (WTG) (L2 – Knowledge)
- The Delegates are able to demonstrate understanding of current national and regional legislation regarding working at heights (L2 – Knowledge)
- The Delegates are able to demonstrate correct identification of PPE, including identification of Global and regional standard markings e.g. harness, hard hat, lanyards, etc. (L3 – Skill)
- The Delegates are able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills to correctly perform pre-use inspection, service, store and correctly fit relevant PPE, e.g. harness, fall arrest lanyards, guided type fall arrest lanyards and work positioning lanyards (L2 – Knowledge & L3 – Skill)
- The Delegates are able to demonstrate correct use of the relevant PPE, e.g. harnesses fall arrest lanyards, guided type fall arresters and work positioning lanyards. This includes correct identification of anchor points and correct conduct on ladder (L3 – Skill)
- The Delegates are able to demonstrate correct use of evacuation devices (L3 – Skill)
- The Delegates are able to demonstrate how to approach rescue situations in WTGs and use rescue equipment efficiently (L3 – Skill & attitude)
In order to complete a GWO Fire Awareness course, participants must:
- Be WINDA registered before arriving for the course.
GWO certificate – valid for 2 years
A good standard of general fitness is required.